Can you feel that bite in the air? Winter has arrived… Which means a whole new season of gardening wonders we get to explore! Need a gardening checklist of what needs to be done in your garden? Follow out winter gardening checklist below and tick off the points as you go!
- Winter isn’t as busy as the warmer months. Use this downtime to sort out your gardening equipment. Sharpen and repair tools, and use car wax to lubricate any stubborn shears!
- Time for all those little jobs you haven’t had time to do: recycle any old pots and trays, check fences and paving etc
- Now is the perfect opportunity to reposition any plants that are looking a bit sad! Keep in mind that most plants need about 6 hours of sun to survive in winter.
- Keep note of any deciduous perennials – AKA plants that shrink back in winter but have their leaves all year long! This will keep you from digging them up.
- Give your soil a little boost before the cold really hits so your plants will really thrive this winter! Try Wonder Organic Vita-Boost Vermicompost.
- Your roses will also need to be fed. Use our Wonder Fruit and Flower 3:1:5 (26) SR for the best blooming roses! Water them once a week and keep an eye out for the dreaded black spot.
- Encourage more blooms by picking flowers often, and feed them Wonder Colour Boost.
- Time to any plants that flowered in summer and autumn.
- Protect your lawn from the cold by allowing it to grow a bit longer until mowing it in winter. This is especially important if it’s in a shaded area!
- Set a reminder to prune roses at the beginning of July to stimulate new growth in spring! Use our Wonder Deluxe Bypass Pruner 8″
Fruit & Veg
Loads of fruit and veg prefer the cooler seasons. Here are some of our favourites:
- Broad beans
- Snap peas
Bring colour to your garden with these winter flowers:
While you’re here…
You might also be interested in our eco-gardening tips. For more gardening hacks, how-to’s and tips, please subscribe to our mailing list. Want to browse more?