As winter sets in, our indoor plants need some extra TLC and attention to thrive and survive the colder months. Just like us, they feel the effects of the changing seasons. With a little knowledge and the right tools, you can master the art of winter indoor plant care.
Keep reading for helpful tips to keep your leafy companions happy and healthy.
Adjust your watering
In the winter, it’s important to change how often you water your indoor plants to meet their needs. Lower temperatures and less light can affect their water requirements.
- Check your soil moisture levels: Stick your finger about 2 cm into the soil to see if it’s dry or still moist. This simple test will give you a good sign of whether your plant needs watering or not.
- Adjust watering frequency: In general, you should water your plants less during winter compared to other seasons. Most indoor plants experience slower growth during this time and need less water. When you do water, make sure to provide a thorough soaking.
- Consider plant placement: Take into account the location of your indoor plants. Plants exposed to dry air from draughty windows or heat sources may need more frequent watering.
Adjust the light for your indoor plants
Light is always important for your houseplants. Even during the winter months. While they may be in a dormant phase, they still rely on sunlight for photosynthesis and overall growth.
- Clean your windows: Keeping your windows clean can make a significant difference in the amount of light that enters your home. Dust, grime, and fingerprints can block sunlight and reduce the intensity of the light reaching your plants.
- Rotate your plants: As the sun’s angle changes during winter, it’s beneficial to rotate your plants. By doing so, you provide all sides of the plant with equal exposure to soft, indirect sunlight. Plants won’t lean or grow unevenly toward the light source if you do this.
- Check light intensity: As we’ve mentioned above, different plants have varying requirements. Some thrive in direct sunlight, while others prefer indirect or filtered light. Observe your plants closely and adjust their positioning accordingly. If a plant looks like it’s getting too much direct light and its leaves are getting burned, think about moving it to a spot with softer light to help it feel better.
Wipe leaves clean
The foliage of our indoor plants is not only beautiful but also vital for their health and well-being. However, during the winter months, factors such as heaters, fireplaces, and reduced indoor air movement can lead to a buildup of dust that may go unnoticed by the naked eye.
It’s important to make a habit out of wiping your indoor plant’s leaves to keep them clean and free from grime. Take a tissue or a soft cloth and gently wipe the leaves. You’ll amaze yourself at how much dirt and dust accumulate on them. This simple act of cleaning can make a significant difference in the health and appearance of your plants.
For an extra level of effectiveness, consider using a product like Efekto Oleum to polish your indoor plant leaves. It helps remove residue and restore the natural lustre of the foliage, making your plants even more visually appealing. Plus, it protects against scale, aphids, mealy bugs, and other pests that can cause harm to your houseplants.
Essential products for your winter indoor plant care
The right products on hand make winter indoor plant care easy. These essential items will help provide the necessary nutrients, growth stimulation, and stress management that your plants need to thrive in the colder season. Here are our three must-have products for your winter indoor plant care:
Wonder Plant Food Stix
Keep your indoor plants nourished and thriving with Wonder Plant Food Stix. These slow-release plant food spikes are suitable for all houseplants, providing a balanced feed of essential nutrients that lasts for up to 60 days.
Simply insert the plant food stix into your potting mix, and they will gradually release nutrients, promoting healthy growth and vibrant foliage throughout the winter season.
Wondersol All Purpose Plant Food
Boost the overall health and growth of your indoor plants with Wondersol All Purpose Plant Food. This remarkable product serves as both a growth stimulant and a stress management solution. Its ingredients provide essential nutrients and growth regulators, encouraging robust growth and improving plant resilience against environmental stressors.
Regular application of Wondersol All Purpose Plant Food during the winter will help your plants maintain their vitality and thrive despite the challenging conditions.
Stimulate growth and enhance the vitality of your indoor plants with Wonder Kelp. This organic seaweed concentrate is a powerhouse of nutrients that can benefit your plants in numerous ways. Wonder Kelp stimulates root growth, leading to stronger and healthier roots. It also increases the number of flowers, roots, and shoots, promoting overall plant development.
Additionally, Wonder Kelp is an excellent treatment for reducing transplant shock and helping plants withstand periods of stress, such as frost, heat waves, pests, or diseases.
Take a look at our full range of plant foods to stock up on your plant care.
Learn the language of plants with Wonder
Use the above winter indoor plant care pointers as your trusty checklist during your weekly plant check-in. As you delve deeper into the world of houseplants, you’ll soon become fluent in their language and effortlessly understand their needs throughout the winter and all other seasons.
And if you’re still feeling lost in translation, let our experts help you. Chat with our experienced Wonder plant care professionals via WhatsApp and sign up for our monthly newsletter to stay in the know about all things plant care.